Monday, January 18, 2010

BOOK ONE, CHAPTER 1

Inside the antiseptic office of Doctor Leonard Samson, Iron Man paced the room, looking away from Samson, who was seated across from him.

"I’m not sure this was a good idea." said Iron Man.

"It was your idea." replied Samson.

"Not all my ideas are going to be good." grumbled Iron Man.

"If you want to call it off, you’ll still owe me my full fee." said Samson calmly.

"No, no, it’s just...I don’t know any more about anything." stammered Iron Man.

"Let’s try to focus," said Samson, "on what precipitated the incident."

"I don’t know." said Iron Man flatly.

"You’re going to have to do better than that." said Samson.

"Okay," said Iron Man, "Hawkeye was chairing the meeting. The more I think about it, I probably shouldn’t even have been there. Anyhow..."

********

One day earlier...

Hawkeye stared unsmilingly at the team he led, the West Coast Avengers, for what seemed like an eternity until he finally spoke.

"I move ta vote on whether or not ta discharge Iron Man an’ Wonder Man fer conduct unbecoming."

"How many times," snarled Wonder Man, "do I have to remind you that it’s over?"

"That’s out of line, Simon." snapped the Scarlet Witch. "Show some respect to our chairman."
Wonder Man slouched in his chair and sulked silently.

"If I may, Clint?" said Iron Man, raising his hand.

"Go on." said Hawkeye.

"I’ve always prided myself on changing with the times. And I feel that the incident in outer space only underlines how overdue the Avengers are for a serious re-thinking."

Iron Man could tell from Hawkeye’s face that he had touched a nerve. Hawkeye yelled, "Do I have ta remind ya who the leader of this team is??"

"You’re not listening." said Iron Man stoically.

"I damn well am listening!" replied Hawkeye. "An’ I’m adding insubordination ta yer list of crimes."

"Now you’re just being childish." said Iron Man.

"Can we just get on with the vote?" Mockingbird piped up acidly.

"Yeah...all right." said Hawkeye. "Those in favor of discharging Iron Man and Wonder Man for their involvement in killing the Supreme Intelligence, say ‘Aye!’"

"Aye." said the Scarlet Witch.

"Aye." said the Wasp.

"Aye." said Living Lightning.

"Those in favor of keeping Iron Man and Wonder Man in the team, say ‘Nay!’"

"Nay." said U.S. Agent.

"Nay." said Spider-Woman.

Dr. Pym paused before he, too, said "Nay."

Hawkeye locked eyes with Mockingbird, who was also his ex-wife and currently his on-again, off-again lover.

"Nay." said Mockingbird.

Hawkeye closed his eyes tightly, brought down the gavel, hard, and spluttered through gritted teeth, "The ‘Nays’ have it." Then, after a few tense seconds, "Ya got lucky this time, but I’ll be watching yer every move. There won’t be any more killing while I lead this team."

"Then maybe it’s time you stepped down." snickered U.S. Agent.

Hawkeye clenched his fists as his face turned crimson. But instead of exploding, he slammed down the gavel softly and said, softly, "Meeting adjourned."

********

"That’s it?" asked the unruffled Samson.

"What do you mean, ‘That’s it?’" snapped Iron Man.

"You’re all on edge after recent events, and you had a tense meeting. It’ll blow over."

"Do you...do you think I was wrong in killing the Supreme Intelligence?"

"I’m a professional. I’m not paid to make judgements like that."

"You’re no help at all."

"I’m sorry you feel that way."

"Don’t call me, I’ll call you...maybe!"

With those words, Iron Man stormed out of Samson’s office.

No comments:

Post a Comment